Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Living with Eternity in Mind

A couple years ago I was in a small group and we read and discussed the book Crazy Love by Francis Chan. To sum it all up in one sentence, it was about living your life and making decisions based on how they will affect eternity.  I felt very challenged by this and continue to feel challenged by it when I think about it.  How different would my life be if, before making any decision, I thought about whether it would make a difference in eternity?  I think it would look very different.  I get so caught up in wanting the latest thing or making the latest recipe or craft from pinterest that I easily lose sight of that goal of making a difference for eternity.  Sometimes, I think about how much more I could do if I didn't get so caught up with the materialism of life.  I could give more of both my time and money.  Making some fancy new recipe or trying a new craft that will most likely turn out badly is not all that important in light of the knowledge that there are billions of people in the world who are in need, both spiritually and physically.  I think about what the Bible says about my calling as  a Christian...taking care of the orphans, widows, and other needy people; spreading the news about Jesus so that others may know Him; encouraging other believers; and simply building relationships with people.  There are many more I could list, but those are some of the ones that have been on my heart lately.  For a long time I've wondered what I could really do. I am only a stay at home mom of two young children.  I don't have the time or energy to accomplish those things right now, or so I thought.  The thing that I've realized is that it doesn't necessarily take as much effort as I once thought it did. I don't have to have it all together or have a great abundance of time and energy to minister to someone else.  I can take care of needy people by donating money or even material things I don't need anymore to different organizations.  I can reach out to another stay at home mom and plan a play date, which in the end meets one of my own needs as well.  I can take 5 minutes to sit down and write a note to encourage someone, whether it's sent through email, facebook, or regular old snail mail! The point is it doesn't take that much time or energy to make a significant difference in someone else's life.  There are some other bigger things that I feel God is calling me to but don't feel it's time to share them now.  Maybe in a later post. 

My prayer is that the Lord would give me a heart like His, eyes to see what He sees when he looks at people, and the motivation to make a difference. 

No comments:

Post a Comment